Good morning! I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend!
Here is what is going on in 6Korver this week:
- ELA: We have nearly finished up our lessons and practice of making connections and we are moving on to teaching other. In conjunction with the Global Read Aloud that is starting in October, we will be connecting with and teaching two other classes what we have learned. Then, we will read the book, Fish In a Tree, at the same time and share the connections we are making. In Reader’s Workshop all students are reading their own choice books and recording connections as they read. I have almost made it around to confer with each student about their reading and their goals for this year. Most students have indicated that they would like to find “a really good book/series” this year and would like to challenge themselves by reading harder and longer books.
- Social Studies: If all goes as planned, and we have no hiccups with technology, we should be participating in at least two mystery skypes this week! Students are pumped! This will be an excellent test to see how our geography skills are and how we work together as a class. I’m excited to watch and see how students do with this challenge. When we are not mystery skyping in Social Studies, we will be reviewing the types of maps. Next up: researching a country on the Atlantic.
- Health: Last week we started to look at character traits we see in our class. Students identified at least one positive character trait for every single student. This week, we are going to look at the film, Terry, (about Terry Fox) and create a list of his physical traits and character traits.
- Math: Continuing to work on multiples, factoring, and prime/composite numbers. I will be offering extra help/time to work on math on Tuesday and Thursday at lunch and will post some practice questions to the Math Help section later this week.
Other things to remember:
- Hat and Gum Day on Thursday, Sept. 24
- No school on Friday, Sept. 25 (yay!)
- Picture Day: next Monday, Sept. 28. Forms went home last week.
- We are collecting “5” ($5) to keep Terry’s dream alive for the Terry Fox run next Wednesday, Sept. 30. We are asking each family to contribute $5.
I think that’s it! Please don’t hesitate to email if you have any questions!