Hello! January is flying by! Only 4 weeks until February break! Here’s what we are working on this week:
- ELA- writing scripts for our fractured fairy tales unit (combined ELA/Drama). Scripts will probably be done by the end of this week/early next week. Feedback is constantly being given so that students are handing in their best work. Once the scripts are complete, we will read them as reader’s theatre and then decide in small groups, which ones will be performed. As reader’s we have been working on using our schema and identifying how it makes us better readers. Later this week/early next week, we are going to be challenged to read a text and demonstrate our comprehension strategies to help us understand what we are reading.
- Math- finishing up exit cards on fractions. Then moving on percents. Extra math help is available on Thursday morning at 8:15am.
- Social Studies- finishing up our intro to power and authority. Students applied these concepts to the story of Nelson Mandela last week. We’ll be doing a couple final assessments/exit cards on these terms before we move on to the impacts of racism and the effects of white privilege historically and today.
- Health- finish up decision making unit (hopefully) this week.
- Ski Trip forms are due on Friday.
- Thursday, Jan. 21- Beach Day at school! (Remember to bring warm layers for outside recess)
- Friday, Jan. 29- No school (Teacher prep day)
- Wednesday, Feb. 10th- Ski Trip
- Week of Feb. 15th- no school (Feb. break)
Learning for Life Presentation:
As a member of our school’s literacy team, I assist with the annual Learning for Life presentation. We have been asked to pass this message to parents: