- Brazil-Liam and Keiran
- Chile- Carter and Owen,
- France- Emerson and Sydney
- Mexico- Parker and Bauer
- United States- Kale
- United Kingdom- Brock and Colby
- South Africa- Samantha, Isabelle, Ashlyn
- Portugal- Emmett and Jackson
- Canada – Alex and Joe
- Norway- Chase
- New Zealand- Jacelyn
- Ireland- Meghan
- Italy- Kala and McKinley
The end is nearly here! We had a super fun today today at the first WCMS So You Think You Can Dance day with Mr. P’s class today!
Here is what’s up for this week, next week, and some end of the year reminders:
Subject specific updates:
We have a busy week finishing up some projects this week. There is more than enough time for most students to finish their work during class time, however, if they are not using it well, they may need to be taking some of these assignments home this week:
- ELA- Non-fiction writing project (I’m an expert) should be done by MONDAY at the latest. Some students may need to take this home this week to work on it.
- Math- Regular math class will continue all this week. We are studying patterns and relations. Many students still owe me exit card corrections on percents, fractions, and ratios. I will be contacting parents on Tuesday/Wednesday if there are missing assignments.
- Social Studies- We are completing one last project on Quality of Life. It should be finished by Friday. Students have three classes to complete it.
- Career Ed- Career Poetry assignment is due on Friday. Students should easily be able to complete it during three classes this week, but may need to take it home if they do not use class time wisely.
Next week/end of the year treats and Reminders:
- Monday, June 26- Grade 6 Swim Trip to Martensville. We are leaving at 8:45 am sharp. Students should be in the classroom for attendance at 8:35.
- Wednesday, June 28- Grade 6 Movie in the Theatre. We typically gather all of the grade 6 students for a movie “on the big screen” on the last day of school.
- Progress Reports: If your child will not be attending school on Wednesday, June 28th and cannot pick up their progress report, the following alternative arrangements can be made:
- Communicate with your child’s homeroom teacher about someone else picking it up from their classroom at the end of the day on June 28th.
- Progress reports may be picked up in the school office on Thursday, June 29th or Friday, June 30th (before noon).
- Provide a self-addressed stamped envelope before June 28th and it will be mailed.
- Pick up the progress report from the school office between the hours of 9am-4pm after it re-opens on August 28th.
- All student materials (from classrooms and lost and found bins) must be removed by the final day of classes. Unclaimed items are donated to charity at the beginning of July.
It was an absolute joy teaching this class this year. I have so many wonderful memories from this year. I hope you have a great summer filled with lots of laughter, adventures, and sunshine!
- Government of Canada Job Bank – enter the job title (make use of the drop-down options once you start typing) and location you hope to live in. For your research, FOCUS on the links at the start of the description that include “Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations”
- Alberta OCC info – information and videos are from Alberta, but a lot of the information is transferable. You can search by occupation to find all the jobs related to your keyword
- Work BC Career Profiles – a great place to find lots of research information – make use of the drop-down options once you start typing.
- Career Trek – videos about various careers. Be cautious that information such as career outlooks and salaries are related to British Columbia, but some information is transferable to other provinces. Be sure to click on the yellow “GET THE FULL STORY” on the right-hand side of the video – this gives you a complete job profile.
- Career Trek Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CareerTrekBC/videos
The countdown is on and we are heading in the last days of school. We have a busy week next week, so a couple reminders:
- Potluck and movie day on Wednesday as a reward for earning 23 mystery students. Students have been asked to sign up for the potluck, be
- low is what I have so far. Please discuss with your child what they can contribute.
- Redberry Field Trip on Thursday. We are participating in archery, wall climbing, beach volleyball, and a hike. Students should come with: bug spray, sunscreen, appropriate dress for the weather, and a hat. Hot dogs, pop and chips will be served for lunch. Students should bring extra snacks/lunch and lots of water for the day. We are leaving at 9am sharp and will return to the school at 3:00pm. We are looking for a couple parents to help lead groups and set up lunch. Please contact me if you can help.
- Swimming in Martensville on Monday, June 26. We are leaving at 8:45am. Students should be in the classroom by 8:30 for attendance. We will return to the school by 11:30am. Many students still need to return permission forms. Please do so next week.
Besides the field trip and class reward fun, we are still learning! Here’s what is happening next week:
- Math- heading into percents and how they relate to decimals and fractions. We will then quickly move into our input and output (algebra introduction) unit. Students will also be given the opportunity to revisit some previous units for review or to relearn the material.
- ELA- Non-fiction writing continues.
- Career Ed- Looking at multiple intelligence and how individual strengths lend themselves to specific career paths.
- French- students are working on an interview project that will be published on SeeSaw early next week.
- Social Studies- looking at evaluating quality of life.
- Wednesday, June 14- Potluck/movie da
- Thursday, June 15- Redberry Field Trip
- Monday, June 26- Swimming in Martensville
- Wednesday, June 28- Last day of school. Summer starts!
A couple of end of the year reminders:
- My plan is to continue having “regular classes” (maintain our current schedule) until Monday, June 26. Students will continue to have teacher switches until then and will follow our consistent schedule to then. Please keep most school supplies at school until then.
- We will be doing locker clean up on Tuesday, June 27 and Wednesday, June 28. Please make arrangements for students to have extra tote bags, grocery bags, etc. to bring home binders, materials, portfolio’s, etc. on those days.
- Progress Report Pick-up for the end of June: Students who will not be here on the final day of school (June 28) can make the following arrangements beforehand with their teacher for receiving their progress reports:
-Parents can arrange with the homeroom teacher to have the progress report go home with another student on the final day of classes.
-Parents can provide a self-addressed stamped envelope (to the teacher) to put the progress report in to be mailed.
-Parents can pick the progress report up at the WCMS office on Thurs. June 29 or Friday, June 30, before noon.
-Progress reports that remain will be held at the office and can be picked up when school reopens on August 28, 2017.